• question-icon

Is repetition of anti-rabies vaccination required for a dog bite second time?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: 2 years ago when my neighbour's dog bit me, you had suggested a protocol of 3 injections of Rabipur if that happened again. This time the same dog bit in the left leg over my trousers. The trouser is not torn. The skin was not red at the time of biting- nor did it appear torn. But there were two impressions left by teeth . Soon after, the area under the skin turned reddish blue- and the mark srpead and to 1 cm long. Seemed like internal bleeding happened. I got a Rabipur injection taken as per your past advice (0,3,7 day and stop if dog is still alive).

Question: 1. The ER staff said I should take the full 5 doses as the protocol changes from time to time. Do I have to ?
2.What about Tetanus ? Again the bite is over trousers which are not torn- dont think saliva directly contacted skin.

also last tetanus shot was taken in feb 2014 21 days after that dog bite

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need for 5 doses.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

Well , no there is no need to take full 5 doses as long as the dog is alive 10 days after the bite.

Second though your bite warrants a tetanus shot , but any tetanus injection taken within past 3 years doesn't require new tetanus shot. So no need to tetanus shot.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask.
Dr. Divakara