• question-icon

Is red circle on arm a sign of staph infection?

Posted on Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Ive had this red circle on my arm for a week now,It started as a small red dot but now is much bigger.Doesnt itch or hurt. Ive put nastain on it but diesnt help Ive had this over a week, it started as a small red dot on my arm and has gotten much bigger. The skin seems to be peeling off around the circle. It doesnt hurt or itch. It also does not appear to be a spider bite. I thought maybe ring worm which i have never had. I have been putting Nastatin on it which is also used for anti fungal but it does not seem to be helping. Its abiut the size of a dime. I was also in the ER with my soon and thought i could have got staph but i really just dont no. Please help
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Insect bite reaction Detailed Answer: Hi Iunderstand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. You seem to have developed an insect bite. The redness is a part of the allergic reaction that the Skin develops after insect bite. You have been applying an antifungal over the affected area which might not help in this case. You should apply a topical steroid cream like cortisone over the affected area twice a day. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any clarifications Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 10 hours later
Insect bite even if there appear to be no bite marks? So you would say no to ribg worm, i can rule that out? I have two small children and want to make sure it is not contagious.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Insect bite reaction Detailed Answer: Hi again You need not be that bothered since it does not look like a fungal infection. It is basically an allergic looking skin which can develop as a result of an insect bite. Also you have already been using an antifungal which would have surely helped if it was a fungal infection. Even the site is not a common one for fungal infections. Now you should apply the cream as told and I am sure it will be of help to you. Dr Geetika Paul
Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist