Is recurring upper right quadrant pain indicative of liver stones?

Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello,

Could daily reoccuring RUQ pain be caused by a lodged/stuff stone in the liver?
I dont have my gallbladder so i dont have gallbladder stones specifically.
This pain is often caused when i eat and is relieved when i press my fingers into the very localized area of pain (see picture).
Ive had an MRI and endoscopy, both found nothing.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
If MRI is normal can’t be liver pathology.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
In case if there is any pathology in liver or gallbladder but as MRI is normal it can’t be a liver pathology otherwise things would have been reflected in MRI.

I would suggest you to try antacids for few weeks.
Most of the times changes due to gastritis are not seen in endoscopy therefore if pain responds to antacids it can be due to acid disorder.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 2 days later
I will try antacids doctor. Ive tried eveything from Bentyl to Enzymes and nothing works. I have a laproscopic viewing coming up. My biggest concern is that its something malignant/cancerous but since im not losing weight or nothing has been found on the scand, im doubting that it is .
Answered by Dr. Sunil 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
No if MRI is normal it can’t be cancer or malignancy.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 5 days later
As of last night and today, when I defecate, atleast for a little bit afterwards, it feels like my bowel isn't fully empty, almost as if there is still stool in my rectum. It isn't painful but more of a very slight pressure in that area, as if there is still stool there. My stools are a little smaller (by no means pencil thin) but thinner than they have been over the years, but that's been the norm for quite some time now.

I've been experiencing RUQ pain that still has no answer after an endoscopy, MRI, pelvic CT, and blood work. I mention this because my GI tract has been messed up for years now and I'm afraid that maybe this new little symptom is something cancerous, but also hoping that with all of that testing, if there was colorectal cancer, it would've been seen by now. The only thing I haven't had is a colonoscopy due to there not being lower abdominal/bowel pain.

Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer to query.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I would suggest you to use a fleet enema for 2 days along with laxative.
If after clearing bowel if pain settles down then it means the disturbed gur flora and constipation is cause of pain.

As all tests are normal we could go for a planned colonoscopy.If its normal then you would be treated clinically for symptoms.
Its not necessary that if reports are ok then gut is ok.If symptoms are there you have to take treatment.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj