question-icon

Is recurring of gallstones possible post cholecystectomy?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: Can you have gallstones again even if you had surgery.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
If gall bladder is removed then impossible to get again.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. If gall bladder is removed by surgery (cholecystectomy) then it is not possible to get gall stones again.
If you getting pain and symptoms even after the surgery it can be post cholecystectomial syndrome. this can occur due to sphicter of oddi dysfunction ( sphicter which control bile flow to duodenum) or adhesions from surgery or microstone formation in ducts.
Ultrasound examination of abdomen will be helpful to rule out this. A consultation with your surgeon is well appreciated. Conservative treatment alone is effective in most cases.

What symptoms are you having now?

Let me know if anything not clear.I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Nishad BN