Is recovery time long for a child after contracting cold and cough?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in General Health
Question: My son - 5.5 yes - has just contracted cold/cough. While I know the generic medicines to prophylactically treat this, I want to know how much time I can wait before I actually start the dosage. I'm waiting for his immunity to kick in & fight the germs themselves. Should I do this or it is not advisable?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The recovery is actually spontaneous

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections which usually have an allergic component associated. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic. This is independent of the immunity kicking in and simply helps in relieving the symptoms. Whether you need to wait therefore depends on the severity of the symptoms. Irrespective of these medicines it is own immunity that helps in the resolution of the infection. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

I hope that I could clear your doubts.

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 minutes later
Thank you Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back directly if you ever have a health related query in the future.