• question-icon

Is recovery time long after a total hip replacement surgery?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My fiancé had anterior total hip replacement two weeks ago. It dislocated in paccu and she had to be returned to surgery. After s few days, she was still unable to walk and sure of her leg is numb. PT said hip flexor muscles were "asleep" and nerve was sensory related only and would come back over time. Then was sent to rehab at a different hospital. Dislocated again while sitting in the chair. Put her under again and was able to get it back in. Now sent her back to original hospital for revision surgery. Repositioned the part that the plastic cap goes into and also put new cap with a lip on it for more stability. As of today she cannot walk and is still numb. All we want is for her to walk and all we get is it will take time. I don't understand, she's 46 yrs old and people are up walking the same day. Just look for assurance of some kind that this is only temporary and that prognosis is good.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Healing will take time after two surgeries.

Detailed Answer:
After a hip replacement it takes 4-6 weeks for the complete recovery. Since she had to undergo another surgery it will take some more time for her to heal completely. The numbness can be due to a mild nerve compression due to local swelling. Putting weight on the leg immediately s not advisable as it can cause a repeat dislocation.
Just give her some time to heal and with the help of regular physiotherapy she will be well soon.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
We understand the numbness is pretty common and generally improves with time. What we are concerned about most is the inability to move the leg to walk. We can see a slight twitch near the knee cap and a few inches back in the quads when she tries the flex it, and I can feel a slight lift of the foot when she is sitting and tries to lift it. There's is also pain in the groin and hemetoma near the incision. We are trying to understand if it's nerve damage, muscle damage, pressure on the nerve from swelling/hemetoma, etc and what the typical prognosis and time for recovery based on others experiences, professional studies/data.

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be nerve compression.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The inability to move and twitches can be due to a nerve compression but not any permanent damage. This should improve as the hematoma and swelling decreases. The recovery in such cases may take 4-6 weeks. You can get a nerve conduction study done to confirm this.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon