Is recovery possible after suffering from a diabetic coma?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 7 Jun 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello My sister's husband was found unresponsive and was told he had fallen into a diabetic coma. He has currently been in the hospital for 2 weeks. The doctor told my sister today that he will have brain damage and that they are planning to send him to a convalescent home. My question is: Can a patient recover from this severe condition?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, patients can actually recover from this but depends on teh severity!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about your sister's husband suffered. It is unfortunate but persons do recover. This however depends on the severity of the brain damage which I cannot tell for real. Can you tell me more whether he's conscious, can take and can relate to persons around him. Can he tell what the date is and where he's?

In all, a good number of persons would recover but that will be most likely dependent on the severity of the damage which I cannot directly tell at this time without more information.

I hope this sheds some light. Help me with the above responses and let's see what more specific details can be added to it. Let me hear back from you at your earliest convenience and promise to get back to you with more insights.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for responding to my question...

Currently, he's been unconscious since he was found in-responsive
He doesn't seem to able to respond to questions are answers.

It's been a few weeks and we are being hopeful, but the doctors are not encouraging us to hope for his recovery.

That's why I wanted to know if it's possible to recover from a brain injury
Such as this. (He was without oxygen but we don't know for how long)

Thank you for your response and expressing words of empathy...
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
His recovery might be a lot difficult!

Detailed Answer:

With this added information, his chances might not be that great. No matter the fate, stay true to the values of love and social support.

Courage and stay strong!