Is rashes caused due to chicken pox?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had a shot given to me at our local CVS on 12/23/13. Just two evenings ago I broke out all over with an itchy rash. Could this rash be a light case of chickenpox? Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do not think so Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX Sorry for your troubles. I would have loved to know what the shot was made up of but in any case, I do not think it is chickenpox especially with your age. It is a condition that is hardly common amongst old adults and I will worry less about that but rather consider dermatitis or allergy as the most likely culprit of your recent rash outbreak. In adults, you could present with shingles which is a much late phase of varicela zoster infection (virus that causes chickenpox) in adults. Since your description is rather not specific, it will be best if you had the rashes examined by a health care provider so that if treatment is needed it should be appropriately indicated. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 minutes later
I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT MENTIONING IT WAS A SHINGLES SHOT. SINCERELY, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is not likely related Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for updating, I will hardly relate shingles shot that was given weeks ago to rashes that just occurred two evenings ago. I want to believe that they are unrelated and you should normally not experience any form of shingles or chickenpox if you took the shot. I want to believe that you might be experiencing another form of skin diseases. Just a health care provider to take a look and determine specifically the type of rash. But in some very very rare situations, some people have developed shingle related lesions or hive-like lesions shortly after receiving the vaccine this is often the case with people with low immunity. Well hope I was helpful and please feel free to write back with any other queries. Dr. Nsah