Is radiotherapy an effective treatment for reducing the chances of cervical cancer recurrence?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: i had a radical hysterectomy 1-30-2017 ...they said they got it all...but now they want to do radiation and told me I have a 30% chance of it coming back....but I say I have a 70% chance of it not....just wanting your opinion
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Radiation should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
After a radical hysterectomy all lymph nodes are removed but micrometastasis cannot be detected. We cannot prevent the further spread due to micrometastasis. To avoid any recurrence due to this radiotherapy is done and even after that regular monitoring is needed to detect any early relapse. 30% is still a lot of chance and it is best to reduce the chances of recurrence by radiotherapy.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj