Is radioactive iodine treatment advisable for hyperthroidism?
Question: Hi, I have hyperthroid since 2009, I was put on Methimazole 20mg at the beginning, then lower the dose to 5mg, I had stopped the medicine after my throid get back to normal about four times, but after six months without medicine, it comes back. Right now, I feel hot, fatigue, hand shake, heart heat a little, my doctor asked me to have radioactive iodine treatment, but he said I will mostly become hypothroid after the treatment. I don't want to cause another problem as hypothroid has to treated lifetime. I want to try nature way, Do you have any recommendation?
Brief Answer: You can try block and replacement regimen. Detailed Answer: Dear user, Hi! you have not mentioned the cause of your hyperthyroid state. if it is Graves' disease you can go for block and replacement regimen or if it is toxic nodule then radio ablation is the answer. true it will leave you hypothyroid for life but then that is less harmful then this recurring hyperthyroid state. regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
People also viewed
- Radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid
- Risk of radioactive iodine treatment
- Radioactive iodine treatment and flying
- Isolation for radioactive iodine treatment
- Radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism
- Marijuana and radioactive iodine treatment
- Is radioactive iodine treatment advisable for hyperthroidism
- Dangers of radioactive iodine treatment
- Radioactive iodine treatment for hypothyroidism
- Radioactive iodine treatment and pregnancy
Questions Answered By Dr. Minal Mohit