Is radiating pain in the hip a sign of arthritis?

Question
just trying to figure out if the pain in my hip, moving down my leg is related to arthritis or if I need to dig deeper for source.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be sciatica and may need X-ray lumbar spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can sciatica and can be due to compression of sciatic nerve at lumbar spine level or at hip bone and can lead to pain radiating to whole leg on affected side. X-ray lumbar spine to look for any disc narrowing or collapse may be needed though CT or MRI are more revealing but may not be needed at this stage.

Avoid lifting heavy objects and avoid sitting on hard surfaces or prolonged sitting etc. OTC analgesics like acetaminophen can be used even with aspirin as it's not part of the same group which aspirin belongs to and will not cause any chance of doubling.

Supplements for Calcium Vitamin D3 and bisphonates may be needed but after radiological work up. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards