Is rabies vaccination required when scratched by a dog?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: Hello Doctor,

Hope you are doing good,2 months back I had a little scratch by a street dog, I was wearing jeans and he tried biting me but there was only scratch after 16 hours I consulted doctor and he advised 5 doses of rabipur vaccines which I took on days 0,3, 7,14 and 28... And also one titneaus on first day as well, is it sufficient or should I get a booster dose as well? Today I guess again a street dog scratched me should I get 5 more doses, please advise I am nervous
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check for antibodies against rabies

Detailed Answer:
hi

I suggest you to get blood test for rabies antibodies. since you have already taken injection recently you should have sufficient numbers but it is good to get blood test.
if the numbers are good then you shouldn't need the injections again.

also what is the chance of acquiring infection with the newer scratch is to be ascertained by a physician on evaluation of bite site.

hope I am clear.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 2 hours later
Are you suggesting that I should visit a doctor? And also does this antibody test available at every Lal path labs?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Anti Rabies Antibody should be available at good NABL certified labs including Lal Path labs.
Visit a doctor to check for the depth and nature of the scratch. How deep is it and extent.
Always remember to wash the area with soap and water stream for 5 minutes to reduce the chances of infection.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 43 minutes later
Well I just called there customer care and they said there are no such tests available as anti rabies antibody? Along with this I have one more question since I took 5 doses of rabipur last month can I have 1 or 2 more just to relax my self or is it not advises to take extra dose of rabipur does it harms the body?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Two doses can be taken on Day 0 and Day 3

Detailed Answer:

The usual immunity of Anti rabies vaccine would last from 10 yrs to 25 yrs from the time it was taken. The duration is widely varied according to the immunity the person has. These are proven in studies.

However to put off your anxiety it is also recommended to take booster of two doses on Day 0 and Day 3, Day 0 is the first day of booster. E.g if you take it today on 27th Feb, you can take the next dose on 2nd March. THe harm is less.

I just found that RFFIT kit (rabies antibody kit) is not available due to its cost and the vaccine is cheaper than that.