Is rabies vaccination required after being scratched by a dog?

Dr. Deepak

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: A dog tried to bite me today in the morning at 2.30.But there was no blood. There was onlya red mark on the skin. Should I take vaccination for Rabies or not?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should get vaccine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query. I understand your concern.

I would suggest you to get vaccinated immediately.
Even if the bite was unprovoked one, vaccination is advisable.
Initially wash the wound with clear running water with soap. If it is an open wound it may require stitches. Then rush to emergency room where you will be given TT injection and vaccine regimen. Kindly follow it properly without missing any booster dosage.

Hope this helps.
Take care. Bye.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D