Is rabies vaccination required after being scratched by a dog?
I now feel that I should have taken post exposure anti rabbis vaccine as a precaution.
Will the post exposure anti rabbis vaccine, be effective now as more than 3 days have already passed.
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your exposure is Category 2 and it's better to take post exposure prophylaxis with anti rabies vaccine. It's to be started as early as possible. Since there's is a delay in starting the schedule, you may also take antirabies immunoglobulin in addition.
Not at the site but intramuscularly after a test dose
Since there is no bite mark and there has been a gap from the time of the bite, the immunoglobulin may be administered intramuscularly at a site far away from the site of administration of the antirabies vaccine. The immunoglobulin is usually advised in a category 3 bite and immediately into the wound to neutralise the virus injected locally. Why I suggested the option in you is that if there was any virus transmitted by the bite, it has had time to multiply and spread to areas remote from the site of bite.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Alcohol after rabies vaccine
- Rabies vaccine for dogs and lactation
- After effects of rabies vaccine
- Should i take rabies vaccination for the scratching by dog
- Smoke after rabie vaccine
- After taking rabies vaccine a dog bites again
- Numbness after rabies vaccine
- Does a dog scratch require anti rabies vaccination
- Is repeat of anti rabies vaccination required for cat scratch
- Diet after rabies vaccination