Is rabies vaccination required after being bitten by a dog?
This same dog bit me in XXXXXXX 2014 on the left shoulder. and I did not take a vaccine.
Given the dog is vaccinated and it bit over the trousers which have not torn- do I still take the Rabies vaccine? What about Tetanus ? I have heard Tetanus vaccine lowers immunity for a few weeks when given .
Rabies is a lethal disease
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The issue is that mammals can contract a disease called rabies which is very lethal. Dogs being mammals, are therefore susceptible as are humans. But although not all dogs are rabid, you never can be sure that the dog is not rabid while giving you a bite. If the dog is already immunized for rabies and tetanus, you need not worry. But otherwise you would have to decide if you want to take the risk.
If the dog is rabid, it would soon show abnormal behavior and is not likely to live beyond 10 days.
Please note that a single shot of tetanus toxoid would not be enough to impart immunity to protect you from an infection of tetanus, if contamination really occurs. It can just boost your immunity provided you are properly immunized. Unless that is the case, tetglob (tetanus immunoglobulin) needs to be taken.
Tetanus vaccine does not lower immunity for a few weeks.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Anti rabies vaccination after dog bit smoking
- Alcohol after rabies vaccine
- Rabies vaccine for dogs and lactation
- After effects of rabies vaccine
- Smoke after rabie vaccine
- After taking rabies vaccine a dog bites again
- Numbness after rabies vaccine
- After rabies vaccination r dogs safe
- Does a dog scratch require anti rabies vaccination
- Diet after rabies vaccination