• question-icon

Is pulse rate of 41 a cause for concern?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a slow pulse. I went to give blood today and my pulse rate was 41. I normally have pulse rate in the 50's and have had for years. What should I do? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that the normal recommended heart rate range of an adult is between 60 to 100 bpm.

Heart below 60 is known as Bradycardia and needs evaluation to understand the cause of this that whether it is a sinus bradycardia or some abnormal rhythm.

If your heart rate went all the way down to 40 then it's advisable that you should get one ECG done to see whether the heart rhythm is sinus or not.

Also you should get one ECHOCARDIOGRAM and a HOLTER monitoring done to find out the cause of bradycardia.

It's advisable that you should consult a cardiologist personally for proper examination and evaluation.

Hope to have been helpful. Feel free to ask back if you have any more doubts.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist