Is pulmonary fibrosis a genetic disease?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My father died of pulminary fibrosis. Can it be genetic? I now have pneumonia & am
being actively treated. Should be fine, but wonder if it could be a concern later. I had
sugery for a puntured lung in 1967. No other health issues- never smoked/ dad did
early in life, but quit.
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 29 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Pulmonary fibrosis is usually not genetic or familial.

2. You had surgery for a punctured lung. If you could elaborate on this then I can comment in more detail. Was a tube put in chest? what type of surgery was done?

3. Pneumonia is a respiratory infection and need not be worried about as it will subside on treatment.

4. If there is no other lesion at present then no need to worry.

5. I would however be interested in the details of your illness in 1967. And what was the etiology of punctured lung?

6. As a precaution after the current episode of pneumonia subsides, you can go in for yearly flu vaccine and 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccine.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist