• question-icon

Is puffy swelling in upper thigh a symptom of ruptured muscle?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: My 77 year old dad has a puffy swelling on his mid upper thigh. No heat no redness and mild discomfort. He asked me to look as he is travelling out of country

It may be a torn or ruptured muscle/tendon and as he leaves tomorrow i wonder if compression therapy would work
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It would

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
This may be partial muscle rupture,but also can be vein thrombosis or lymphedema. In every case ,compression therapy should be beneficial, but in case of thrombosis,he should avoid long sitting and wear elastic socks. The best way to find exact diagnosis is to do ultrasound if this persist. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
He was walking this morning as he does briskly everyday. He felt nothing "happen" then but it swelled "puffed as he said" later. I will look into compression
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
yes,do it and see what happens. It is important to avoid long sitting or standing.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon