Is protein diet advisable for a heart patient recovering from paralytic attack?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: SIR,
MY FATHER IS A HEART PATIENT AND SUFFERED FROM LEFT SIDE PARALYTICAL ATTACK SINCE ONE MONTH
NOW THE LEFT LEG STARTS FUNCTIONING BUT THE LEFT HAND IS NOT ACTIVE .HE IS FEELING WEAKNESS.CAN WE GIVE SOME PROTEINOUS DIET.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can give protein diet, Physiotherapy, Muscle re-education

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Yes, high protein diet will definitely help in recovery. Encourage eggs, Nuts, dry fruits, soya, raging, and if non vegetarian he can have chicken and lean meat. Oily fish are also essential.

You can also give protein supplement like Protinex powder with water or milk.

Please be aware that if his kidneys need to be functioning normally to take high protein diet.

I hope I have answered your query.

Regular physiotherapy and muscle training will help in movement of the upper limb as well.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad