• question-icon

Is prostate biopsy recommendable for elevated PSA levels?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm a 72 year old male 5'10" and 190lbs in weight. I've had PSA test over the past 10 years or so ans these are the results:
PSA 10.8 03/15/2016
PSA 11.3 12/08/2015
PSA 8.8 05/28/2015
PSA 10.1 02/20/2015
PSA 8.5 12/05/2014
PSA 3.5 04/06/2012
PSA 2.0 11/11/2009
PSA 1.2 07/02/2007
PSA 1.0 02/20/2005 My urologist is recommending a biopsy at this time. My question is can I wait for 3 or 6 more months to see if the PSA gets worst or improves or remains the same? If it stays the same does it mean anything? I really don't want to do a to do a biopsy if I can avoid it. Thank you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest to get Prostate Biopsy done .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts and sequential reports of your Serum PSA that you have posted it appears that you have persistent high level of PSA since last4 years .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Has your Urologist carried out Digital Rectal Examination and found out any hard palpable nodule in prostate ?

In view of our PSA being persistently above normal values of 4 for last four years possibility of cancer of the prostate has to be ruled out by doing Prostate biopsy

Prostate cancer is very very slow growing cancer hence waiting for another 3-4 months will not change the status of recent values of PSA .Hence I would suggest you to get it done once for all and rest assured about the cancer of Prostate .

This will prevent to allay your anxiety.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 days later
My thinking is that, like you say, prostate cancer may be slow growing. So, I was wondering if I wait a year, then do another PSA test and the results are about the same, would that mean that the cancer is not growing or growing very slowly. Is my reasoning sound? Then there may be no need for biopsy. Thank you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest you to get Biopsy done now .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Your PSA values done at every three months interval over last one year are showing persistent rising trend which is to be concerned as far as to rule out Cancer of the Prostate.

Doing a prostate biopsy is the only confirmative test to confirm or rule it out cancer of Prostate
.
Waiting for one more year and doing PSA and then to decide about biopsy is not logical in terms of protocol that we follow in patients with rising trend of PSA .
More over by waiting for one year there is high risk of the cancer growing outside the capsule of the prostate and spread to distant organs or bones .

So I would suggest you to get it done at earliest .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thank you very much. I am going to have the biopsy done and hopefully put it to rest. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead and get it done .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Go ahead and get it done it will help to manage the further treatment .
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist