Is prolonged itchiness on the right breast indicator of breast cancer?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Genetics
Question: I have itching on the side of my right breast. There is no rash anywhere. It has been going on for a few months and occurred more while sleeping. I get the Health Radar newsletter and under 10 Cancer Symptoms under # 8 - CHANGES IN BREASTS - it lists itching or scaling of skin as a potential harbinger. I have also been very cold and tired by 5 pm. Should I get SELF PAY blood testing to check my r/w cell levels or how should I follow up on these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The mentioned itchiness is more likely to be due to fungal cause (even if there is no visible rash). Applying Candid (clotrimazole) powder or lotion topically should relieve the problem. I do not suppose that you need to worry about cancer. Be sure to undertake periodic self examination for detection of any lump in the breasts (check Google for the technique). Unless there is any lump, you need not worry about cancer. I do not suppose that any blood test will help you to detect cancer.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad