Is prolonged intake of Xyzal safe?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Request for second opinion:
I underwent FESS and Turbinoplasty on 17July2014. I took antibiotics and pain killers for 1st 5 days and thereafter Doctor prescribed Tabs Cepodem 200, Xyzal and Alerflo nasal spray for 10 days. After taking these medicines for 10days, I went for 2nd followup yesterday and doctor did nasal endoscopy and told me that the area in left nostril is yet to be healed. So, he advised me to use Tab Cepodem 200 for another 7 days, Alerflo nasal spray, Tab 'Deslor' for next '30' days. I experienced serious abdominal pain, dryness in mouth yesterday may be coz of 'Deslor' side effects. When asked doctor today morning, he suggested to discontinue 'Deslor' and asked me to continue 'Xyzal' for next 30days.
A) 'Xyzal' being 'Levoceterizine Diydrochloride', Is it safe to use Xyzal for about 10+30= 40 days?
B) I'm also using Econorm capsules and Naturolax powder for about 2 months now morning and evening coz., of my IBS problem and also to counter side effects of antibiotics that I'm using. Is it safe to continue?
C) Post FESS surgery, typically how long should one wait before going to Gym/ doing physical exercises/ playing sports etc.,?
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Levocetirizine is safe for long term use

Detailed Answer:
I have read your query & seen prescription .
Levocetirizine is safe for long term use.
You can continue Econorm capsules till you are taking antibiotic & decrease Naturolax powder slowly over the peroid of 10 days they are habit forming.
Post FESS surgery , you can restrict physical activity till 4 weeks .
I would advice you steam inhalation twice daily & use warm water gargle after 20 mins of Alerflo nasal spray .
Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Thanks.

Follow-up: Is prolonged intake of Xyzal safe? 23 hours later
Just for my understanding, 1.why is alerflo and xyzal prescribed for another 30 days?
2. As advised by doctor, since the day of surgery, I'm doing nasal irrigation with saline water by pumping thru 20 ml syringe. How long should I be doing this?
3. Heard people say, that the issue will recur again later date? Is it true? What precautions should I take. (I work in centralised AC environment)

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alerflo is prescribe for allergy & inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX ,
Thanks for follow up query.
Xyzal is prescribe to decrease congestion & production of discharge .
Nasal irrigation with saline water clear any crust after operation & prevent adhesion formation. It should be done for 6 weeks.
If you are having nasal allergy , then recurrence is common when you stop anti allergy medication.
Don't stop allergy medication.
Use steam inhalation , saline nasal spray to avoid recurrence .
Follow up as doctor advise .
If centralised AC environment causing symptom then avoidance become necessary .

Regards .