Is prolonged intake of Telmisartan associated with an increased risk of getting cancer?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Jul 2018 in Cancer
Question: Dear Dr

I am taking telmisartan 80mg + hctz 12.5mg for hypertension for past 10 years..In recent years there have been a safety concerns regarding use of ARBs and increase incidence of some cancers..On contrary many studies suggest that telmisartan is associated with reduced cancer risk as it is a ppar alpha agonist..What is the exact scenario sir?

Should i change telmisartan..Telmisartan has many cardioprotective and reno protection effects a well..

Kindly suggest what is the reality ??
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. There is no increased risk

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I understand your concern. Telmisartan is a good pleomorphic effect drugs and please continue it. The increased risk of cancer is associated with use of other ARBs but not with telmisartan.
There is nothing to worry.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj