Is probiotics or prebiotics effective for gastrointestinal problems?
Probiotics are very good and safe to keep the gut healthy.
Hello and thanks for your query.
Definitely yes both probiotic and prebiotic would be good for you.
The mucosal surface of our gastrointestinal tract is colonized by thousands of micro-organisms of different species.
-Most pathogens are microorganisms; nevertheless, some pathogens can normally live in harmony with the host, except when the system is disturbed. They are responsible for proper digestion of food.
Probiotics provide spores of good bacterias which help in digestion and keeping the gut healthy.
Therefore, with increasing age, its a good idea to take probiotic regularly.
VSL#3 is a good one and can be taken once daily.
Take natural probiotic rich food like yogurt, curd, kimchi, and fermented food also in the diet.
Feel free to ask further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Lexapro and gastrointestinal problems
- Common gastrointestinal problems
- Do probiotics need prebiotics to work
- Is idli a prebiotic or probiotic
- Stress and gastrointestinal problems
- Glycomet gastrointestinal problems
- Prebiotic tablets low stomach pain
- Gastrointestinal problems after mirena
- Cure for gastrointestinal problems
- Gastrointestinal problems swelling of intestines