Is presence of worm in stool of child a cause of concern?

Posted on Mon, 20 Apr 2015 in Child Health
Question: Dear Dr.

My wife found a threadworm in our 3yr old daughters stool after giving deworming medication.

I woukd just like to find out, the medication was given on Saturdaya and today is Monday and this is when the worm was found.

I have read some forums online and it says that thread worms xan never be eliminated.

Is this true ? Is there any medication we can administer ?

Please advise

Sincerely,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be eliminated don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thread worm or pinworm infection is the commonest worm infestation in children.
There are two aspects to treat these
1. Deworming medicine like albendazole. These worms can be easily killed by usual Deworming medicine like albendazole. But it is important to repeat the dose after 10 days to kill the new worms which would have come from the eggs inside your child's gut.
2. Proper handwashing. Frequent handwashing is a must. If your child touches her anal area and keeps her fingers inside her mouth the eggs can reenter her gut and become worms again.
For this second reason called as autoinfection, it may be difficult to eradicate these worms. But proper handwashing and personal hygiene will ensure the worms do not persist.
Wishing your child good health

Dr Arun
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology