Is prescription required for Atomoxetine?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What if I don't have a doctor to prescribe this medication to me?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It isn't sold as OTC

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, the information provided seems is quite deficient but based on drug history, I assume you mean to ask about a drug strattera and not scattera, which is a prescription drug like other anti depressants or CNS drugs.

Atomoxetine or strattera may have serious side effects and drug interactions and that is one reason it is sold only after a registered practitioner prescribes considering the safety profile and relevance to the symptoms of the patient.

It's better that if any adverse symptoms are observed due to its non availability, in a patient who has used it in past, it's better to seek a medical facility ER or a psychiatrist review to consider prescribing it again or suggest an alternative but no such alternative is available as OTC.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad