Is pregnancy safe after an epigastric hernia surgery?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,

My wife is diagnosed with epigastric hernia and she's one month pregnent now.

USG Upper Abdomen Report:
A small (15mm x 10mm) defect is seen between the two recti muscles in the epigastric region, through which bowel loops are seen to herniate into the anterior abdominal wall layers. The herniac sac measures apprx 48 x 32 x 22 mm and contents appear reducible.

My concern is how this condition can affect her pregnency and the baby.
What can be done and the steps that needs to be taken from now.
Are there any risks involved.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chances of strangulation of bowel loops.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing your health concerns. Yes there are chances of increase in hernia size and strangulation of bowel loops with progress of pregnancy due to increase in abdominal pressure. Ask her to wear abdominal support belt and avoid cough and constipation.Avoid lifting heavy weights. In my opinion it should be surgically corrected in Second trimester of pregnancy. It will be better if you get it examined by a Gastrosurgeon at the earliest.

Dr Manisha Jain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad