Is pregnancy possible without ovulation?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 13 Oct 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: This question is in relation to pregnancy. Is ovulation completely impossible in girls around the ages of 3,4,5 ?? Does ovulation only occur once a girls body has fully matured, I.e pubic and underarm hair , breast growth etc . Thirdly would pregnsncy be completely impossible in girls around the ages of 3,4,5 ?would this be because for ovulation to take place , a girl must go through puberty first ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
QUERIES ANSWERED

Detailed Answer:
Hello
THanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Let me answer your questions one by one -
1. Ovulation is impossible in girls aged 3, 4, 5. The hormonal axis responsible for ovulation and menstruation matures at puberty, earliest reported records of which are at age 7. 7 itself is a rarity, the average age is 10 - 14 years.
2. YEs, ovulation occurs once the body has matured in preparation for puberty .
3. Pregnancy is thus logically impossible in girls of ages 3, 4 and 5.
Yes this is because for ovulation to occur, pubertal changes must occur first.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
So ovulation will only occur once a girls body has fully matured and is ready to hold a pregnancy ? And as you stated would it completely impossible for ovulation to occur in girls before age of 5 ? Is this because there bodies are not mature enough to carry a baby. This will only take place after pubertal changes which could be from 7-16 years of age ? And to clarify , before age 5 , there is no ovulation , no egg released and therefore no pregnsncy . Is this correct ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YES YOU GOT IT RIGHT

Detailed Answer:
On all counts - yes.
YOu understood it correctly.
Ovulation occurs only once the pubertal changes occur and a girl's body is mature as you state.
OVulation cannot occur in girls before the age of 5.
This is because of the inherent hormonal mechanisms which inhibit puberty until a certain age.
Before 5, there is no ovulation, no egg is ever released, and thus there is no pregnancy.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
Thanks. Take care
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YOU TOO

Detailed Answer:
You too.
Please feel free to contact anytime directly at -
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-aarti-abraham/64623
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 days later
So ovulation never happens before puberty? It's always after ? And the average age of a girl first ovulation or period would be around 11?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
YES

Detailed Answer:
Ovulation never occurs before puberty.
Average age is 9 - 14 years, it is a range, not an absolute value.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 days later
This is another pregnsncy related question. A couple of months ago, I went to the toilet to urinate ( English toilet with seat ), not the XXXXXXX version with the hole in the ground. Now as I went to urinate, I flushed the toilet, washed hands and walked out of the toilet and instantly my sister went I the toilet as soon as I had come out. Now for some reason , I got the most crazy thought in my head.
This was what if her private area touched the toilet bowl of the seat and that contained sperm. The reason this had me worried was because I had sex with partner around 15 hours previous to this incident so my worry was what if there was some sperms left in my urethra. So if she went to the toilet and urinated, and if there was a touch between her labia and toilet bowl, could sperm on the bowl enter the vagina like this or is this completely impossible as I did not masturbate or anything like that, just urinated whilst sat down . Is this a risk of pregnancy ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE

Detailed Answer:
It is completely impossible for a pregnancy to result in this way.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
So even if there was sperm on the toilet bowl and somehow it touched her labia ( assuming ) , pregnancy would still be impossible ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IMPOSSIBLE EVEN THEN

Detailed Answer:
Yes, impossible.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks. Can you explain in more detail why it's impossible ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
REASONS EXPLAINED

Detailed Answer:
1. You did not ejaculate.
2. Sperms cannot survive on the toilet seat.
3. Vaginal penetration is required to deposit sperms in the cervical canal.
These are the reasons that pregnancy is impossible.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
So without penetration sperm cannot travel up the vagina and cause pregnancy ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
NO

Detailed Answer:
No, without penetrative sex, pregnancy cannot occur.