Is pregnancy possible with hymen intact?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Did I miscarry?
Sexual history: I have not been penetrated & my hymen is still in tact. However, my boyfriend and I do participate in activities where sperm could possibly enter into my vagina. Question1. Is it possible to become pregnant with an intact hymen? In about April of this year, I had been experiencing mild constipation every week. my period was very different this month. My periods usually start heavy, last about a week and are XXXXXXX red. This time, it was late by a few days, a light, much brighter pinkish-red & very light- did not soak up an entire pad & only lasted three days total. The following month, May, my period came on normally, however, when I went to the restroom, I passed a rather large fleshy-like material that was rolled up like a scroll. & then a white/transparent squiggly string that was too firm to be discharge. There were some bloody spots/particles that did not float to the bottom of the toilet. & the white squiggly string-like material did not sink right away either but the big red fleshy material did. Frantic, I fished the red scroll-like material out & placed it into a paper cup where it unrolled itself. The fact that it unrolled without breaking apart proved that it wasn't a clot. It was fleshy & looked like some sort of bodily tissue. The closer I looked, the more I realized the appearance of what's circled in red resembled a fetus. In my mind, I see a baby's head, back & two arms. Please tell me you're able to confirm or deny from just a picture. The first picture is mine. The second picture is a comparison of a picture I found online that I thought looked similar to mine. I was not in pain, just really uncomfortable. Also, It is very difficult to pinpoint the last time my boyfriend and me participated in those activities that may have led to a pregnancy & then possible miscarriage.
Ps: I did not lactate, had no idea I was pregnant (If so) & was not/am not taking any medications. My periods did resort to normal afterwards & I have not experienced this since then.
Thank you, in advance.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible miscarriage

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
I have reviewed the photographs you have uploaded.
One can get pregnant with intact hymen if there is entry of sperm or semen in the vagina by any method (like fingering).
Scanty periods prior to passage of this fleshy mass is suggestive of pregnancy.
The photographs are suggestive of fetus and products of conception, so it is almost confirmatory that you did miscarry at that time.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 59 minutes later
Are you saying that the first picture, with the red ring around is suggestive of conception? Do you honestly believe, that the image inside the red ring was a fetus?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fetal appearance

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Yes, I honestly believe that the tissue which is in the red ring in the photograph is a fetus. The appearance is completely of a fetus, and there is no doubt.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina