Is pregnancy possible when the sugar pills are skipped and light bleeding is experienced two weeks later?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi just wondering if i could be at a chance of getting pregnant. I was on the pill and skipped the sugar tablets then 2 weeks later mid packet i got light bleeding. On the 3rd day of light bleeding i had intercourse, the next day i forgot to take my pill and havent since. 2days later im still light bleeding. Is there a chance i could get pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The chance of pregnancy is very small.

Detailed Answer:

Given that you had not missed a regular pill leading up to intercourse, the chance of pregnancy is very small. Breakthrough bleeding on the pill is very common and not necessarily a sign of pregnancy.

Also, when you abruptly stop the pill, it will almost always cause some breakthrough spotting. Here is what you should do:
1. Take a pregnancy test now and again in two weeks
2. Restart a new pill pack on Sunday night
3. Use condoms from now through the next pill pack

I hope this help.

Dr. Timothy Raichle
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana