Is pregnancy possible through single sexual encounter during non-fertile days?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My questions is regarding the baby im carrying. My last time i had my period was on may 22nd. I had a one night stand protected intercourse using a condom and also a pullout method together on may 28th. I had an obgyn appt on XXXXXXX 3rd and she told me that i am about to ovulate within the coming day or two. I had unprotected intercourse on XXXXXXX 3,4,5 and maybe 6. I was trying to concieve and i acheived it that mont. now i am 21 weeks pregnant but i am so worried that the baby is from the one night stand. What are the chances that the baby could be his? Im so worried. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not possible to conceive by that one night stand

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The one night stand you had was on day 7 of your menstrual cycle, which is generally considered safe for unprotected intercourse as conception is rare in t his period.
Moreover, you had protected intercourse with pull out method, which further decreases any chances of conception by that act.
Since your OBGYN told you that you were about to ovulate on June4 or 5, you are unlikely to conceive by that act. This is because the sperms remain alive only for maximum5 days in the female genital tract, and your one night stand was at least8 days before the ovulation. It is not at all possible to conceive by that sexual intercourse.
I suggest you not to worry.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma