Is pregnancy possible through protected sex?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: hello doctor.i had my periods on feb 10th and no period till now.i had protected sex and iam not expecting.i had undergone three times urine pregnancy test 3 times at home which showed me -ve all the three times..i visited doctor she suggested me medroxyprogestrone for 5days...and the course of the medicine is over..its been two days my periods did not start..please help me doctor
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be thyroid hormone problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If you are not having any periods even after finishing a medroxyprogesterone therapy for 5 days, then the following causes needs to be ruled out :-

1. Pregnancy - urine test has already excluded it.

2.Thyroid hormone deficiency- A simple blood test will help in excluding hypothyroidism.

I suggest you to wait for at least 5 days after completing the progesterone therapy for the periods to start. If after 5 days periods do not occur, then investigations are entailed. Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
thank u so much doctor..you are just like mother.
i was worried that i was pregnant before marriage..

so i am not pregnant right doctor

i am very much relieved by your answer..i couldnt share this information with doctor due to tension ..
please suggest me the tests which should be conducted so that i can interact with you if the problem tests persists after 5days waiting time given by you
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear ,
Thanks for writing again.

Three negative pregnancy tests rule out the pregnancy. These tests are 97% accurate. You will need to get your thyroid levels tested and avoid anxiety to have timely periods.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee