• question-icon

Is pregnancy possible through intercourse during safe period?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have an unprotected sex with my wife ,21, on day after completion of period & taken i-pill with in three hours of inter course , as far as my knowledge goes on a sperm can alive up to five days in her body so now my prime concern is that what's the possibility of pregnancy by this situation ?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No possibility of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query. I understand your concern.

Normally ovulation occurs on day 14 after period, if cycles are regular. You had unprotected intercourse just after her period which comes under SAFE period. There is NO CHANCE OF PREGNANCY here.
On top of that she has taken I pill which excludes all possibilities of pregnancy. I can assure you this much. So kindly relax. Take all necessary precaution if you want to avoid unnecessary pregnancy in future.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Deepak.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 6 hours later
Thank you Sir, I wrote 21 in my previous question that I wanted to denote her age is 21 years . Her period was lasts from 17 th to 20 th & we had a unprotected sex on day of 21st on evening of this month , was the unprotected sex safe on that day ? One more thing Sir I would like to ask you what's the exact day he will begin to ovulate after completion of her period (20 th) ?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is safe....

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome back.
Thank you for the follow up query.

You had unprotected sex during SAFE period. Hence NO chance of pregnancy.
Have no doubts regarding this.

Coming to ovulation, If her monthly cycles are regular, then she will ovulate on 14th day (assuming her cycle length is 28 days) ie she may ovulate on 3rd or 4th of next month.
Once again this is a calendar method which is highly unreliable. To know the exact date of ovulation she needs to undergo Follicle growth scan which can give definite details.

Hope I have cleared all of your doubts.

Take care, Bye.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Deepak