• question-icon

Is pregnancy possible through intercourse before ovulation?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi doctor I had unprotected sex yesterday being Day 8 of my cycle. I just had a baby 3 months ago. Not breastfeeding. Usually have a 28 day cycle, last period came on day 34. Is there a possibility of pregnancy? Or is it unlikely as it is early in the cycle ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chances of conception are low.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The chances of conception on day 8 of the cycle are less but cannot be ruled out completely. Since you are not breast feeding you can conceive even after 3 months of childbirth.

To be sure it is best to take an emergency contraceptive pill like Unwanted 72 and do use a regular contraceptive in future to avoid pregnancy.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow-up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN