Is pregnancy possible due to transfer of seminal liquid from hand to toilet paper?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hello is it possible for pregnancy to occur due to some semen transferring from the hand to toilet paper and 5 min later a woman uses that toilet paper to wipe herself. I had nightfall some days ago and was careful while cleaning up to throw away most of the paper but am worried that if some semen got on a roll which I did not throw then it may lead to accidental pregnancy. A female member used the bathroom some 5 min later.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is not possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The semen needs a specific environment to survive and also sperms need to be in high numbers in order to cause pregnancy as the vaginal environment is mostly spermicidial. You say you have thrown most of it away so rest assured the lady who got into the bathroom cannot become pregnant by using the partially stained toilet paper

I hope I was of help, if you have further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 hours later
Hello doctor thank you for the response. I am worried because the left over semen would not immediately dry up in the paper, it would be moist. I am afraid that it would contain live sperm. I understand that the quantity would be very less. But simply the fact that there could be live sperm got me worried.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still not enough for pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern. The mositness is semen and the moistness does not mean the sperm is live. Plus I don't think the woman would have used the toilet paper to penetrate into her vagina. Possibility of her getting pregnant through the toilet paper is not possible

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 days later
Hello, I did not understand your previous point regarding the girl not using toilet paper to penetrate her vagina. I thought they wipe the paper on the vagina?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy not possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello

What I meant to say was they would have not used the tissue paper to
wipe inside of their vagina but only over it, superficially

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T