• question-icon

Is pregnancy possible despite taking Plan-B?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My girlfriend and I had sex 4 days after her period. I pulled out and she took a plan b 8 hours later. 2 weeks later she had bleeding for 8 days that she says is her period. It came a week early. Now 4 weeks later she has experienced mood swings, some stomach issues, and now she has cold like symptoms, Sore throat etc. she took a pregnancy test 2 days ago (so 29 days after intercourse) that read negative. But she is having strange symptoms. Could this be from the hormones in plan b or is there a chance she could be pregnant???
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is highly unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

Since you had intercourse 4 days after her period, she took plan-B and had her periods, and had a negative pregnancy test, the possibility of pregnancy is almost nil.
You don't have to worry about pregnancy.
The effects of plan-B do not last this long.

The symptoms she is experiencing is likely due to cold (Viral upper respiratory infection).
Management is mainly supportive. Drink plenty of fluids. Throat gargles twice daily with warm saline water.
Take Tylenol (if not allergic) for pain and take adequate rest.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 hours later
Ok thank you for the information. The thing that worried me the most was the mood swings. She also has eaten more. But i know that Plan b infuses a ton of hormones into her system so could that still be affecting her?

Also she told me she took the clear blue pregnancy test at night. Should she spend the money to try it again even though her period came 2 weeks after intercourse and taking plan b? Thanks again for you answer it has helped calm me a bit .
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

It is unlikely that she is pregnant and you will be fine without repeating the test.
However, if you both are stressed out regarding this, you can definitely take another pregnancy test with the morning first urine sample for ease of mind. You can buy cheap pregnancy test from the dollar store (which gives fairly accurate results), if you do not want to spend too much money on the test.
Taking plan b last cycle, stress, premenstrual symptoms can all be the factors contributing to the mood swings. It is nothing to be worried about and you don't need to stress about pregnancy at this point.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal