Is pregnancy possible despite taking Plan B after having sex?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Birth Control
Question: My girlfriend and I have sex the other night and we were unprotected at first and didn't last No more than a minute. I can tell when I evaluated and she can tell also when I wear a condom and we both think I didn't ejaculate in her but when I pulled out to put a condom on, within seconds I was flabby and that scares us, I did cum a hour beforehand (not in her) and didn't go to the bath room afterwards. After I got flabby I got in my car and bought a plan b pill and she took it within the hour after intercourse, after all things together, what is the chance she will become pregnant. She has very irregular cycles so she has No idea when she ovulates.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rare chances of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
In your case the chances of pregnancy are rare as there was no ejaculation inside and she has taken the I-pill within an hour. The chances of pregnancy in this way are less than 2%. It is best to wait for her next periods. The periods can be delayed by a few days due to the side effect of the pill. Please do not worry.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
How long does the plan b pill work for, I hear 3 days and 5 days, I know sperm can live for up to 5 days so if the pill wears off after 3 what do we need to do about the remaining days while the sperm Still lives
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to take anything.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pill will stop or delay the ovulation. The life span of sperm does not affect the efficacy of the pill. There is no need to take anything extra for the rest of 2 days. It works for unprotected intercourse within last 72 hours.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.