Is pregnancy possible despite taking Nordette?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Had an unprotected sex on the 13th day of cycle.took nordette 21 pills on the 15th day (took 4 pills and then 4 pills again after 12 hrs.).first time to take nordette/ ecp. i'm 5 days delayed on my regular 28 days period. am i pregnant?..did the pill didn't work?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get a serum beta hcg test done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
Firstly Nordette is not an ecp but the protocol followed by you can work for emergency contraception but success rates are only 85%. So if you did not get a withdrawal bleed in next 7-10 days already, then it is important to rule out pregnancy with a serum beta hcg test. If the hcg levels are less than 3mIU , THEN YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT and should wait for the menses to start naturally.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 17 minutes later
What about urine test first? will it not work for finding out pregnancy to whether i'm pregnant or not?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
Urine pregnancy test is not sensitive till 8 days post missed periods , hence the serum beta hcg test which has nil false negative rates.