Is pregnancy possible despite taking I-pill?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi...
I had my periods on 1st XXXXXXX after which I had an unprotected intercourse on 6th XXXXXXX and had taken ipill on the XXXXXXX day within 2hours of unprotected sexual intercourse. After that I got my withdrawal bleeding on 15th of XXXXXXX so my new period cycle should fall on 15th feb...but i did not get my peroiods...i tried pregnancy test but its negative and i had regestrone tablets 2 tablets twice a day for 2 and half days i.e 10 tablets in all from 23rd feb to 25th feb..its 27t today still no perods...please help
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need clinical evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

When emergency contraceptive pill is taken, the associated hormone imbalance delays the next natural period by a week or two. As you have not received any period after the withdrawal bleed, you need proper clinical evaluation.

After a proper clinical evaluation and a trans-vaginal sonogram, if there is nothing else, you will be prescribed proper hormone course to induce the period.

The dosage you have taken is insufficient in the current scenario to induce the period. Also, withdrawal bleeding is seen 3 to 7 days after the completion of the hormone course. Sometimes, it may also take 10 days.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 48 minutes later
I also get milky white discharge non sticky and its really difficult for me to go for clinical evaluation. Is there any other medication I can go for to have my periods as early as possible?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can wait for a couple of days.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

As you have already taken hormone medication to induce the period, please wait for a couple more days to see if you get the period. If you still do not see a period, please get an estimation of the serum beta-hCG titers to confirm/exclude pregnancy.

Milky white discharge from the breast is usually seen during very early pregnancy, around ovulation and also often in the last trimester.

If pregnancy is excluded through the blood test and you do not see a period, repeat the hormone course by increasing the dose and duration. For example, you can take Tab. Regestrone 5mg. thrice a day for 5 days and see. If there is no response even after this, you have to see a doctor in person for further management. A course of progesterone for 20 days should suffice to correct the imbalance created.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 days later
hi...
so now yesterday i got a few drops of blood...today more droplets...
but in the afternoon had severe pain in my back and lower abdomen for almost 2 hours after which i got white and red big clot discharged from my vagina...and the pain reduced...

What would it be??

am worried as have seen such a thing coming out of my body for the first time..it seemed like a liver or some thing...please help...
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is likely to be an organized clot.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

The substance you have expelled is likely to be an organized clot, formed from intact endometrial tissue and collection of blood in the uterine cavity. However, if it resembles a piece of meat, products of conception should be suspected and further investigation is to be done.

As you experienced withdrawal bleeding after using the pill, chances of conception are very low. Please report to your consultant for proper evaluation.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad