Is pregnancy possible despite taking I-pill?

Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 5 Jan 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My wife and i had indulge in a intercoures and took ipill within 20 hrs and she gt pregnant in XXXXXXX and were unaware of it just became she had her normal periods on and she suddenly started feeling something and gt a test done which came as positive and in august she took some abortion pills and after 4 months now she has regular pains in her abdomen and she is facing continuous bleeding from last 13 days and has some clot kind of like a flesh coming out of her vagina and some yellow discharge what could be the reason please suggest something we are seriously worried
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for writing..
I understand your concern..

I would like to know whether a scan was done when she was detected to be positive and after taking abortion pill? Was the abortion complete?

Now after 4 months if she is having continuous bleeding with passage of clots it could be due to retained products of the previous abortion.. Yellowish discharge means it could be infection associated with it.. so get a scan at the earliest to see for retained products.. If there is retained products it should be evacuated at the earliest and a course of antibiotics need to be taken..

Avoid pregnancy for next 3 month s and take iron tablets to restore health..

Hope I have answered your query. feel free to ask any doubts. Good day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 20 minutes later
no scans were done after the abortion pills and what sort of test do u suggest and what iron medicine would be advisable please suggest and does this lead to any serious internal complications will this effect her life ahead in conceiving
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for writing..

A pelvic scan need to be done to see for retained products of conception. If it's present immediate evacuation of uterine cavity along with antibiotics is required to prevent uterine infection which can cause problems in future including infertility. So treatment should be taken at the earliest..

Any iron tablet can be taken for 3 months..

Hope I have answered your query. Good day.