Is pregnancy possible despite having irregular menstrual cycle?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi my periods range from 26 days to 34 days. On one occasion it was 58 days. I dont have PCOS or anything like that. I am on day 27 and still no sign of period. Pregnancy test is negative. Can I conceive naturally with a varied pattern of periods. Like I say i usual bleed for 5 days from 26 days to 34 days of cycle? All I want is a baby but I am worried with my periods be different each month I wont avhieve this. I have beeb told to take inofolic because this can regulate your periods but why do I never know when I go to come on? Any advice how to.regulate them naturally as I am a believer let your body take natures course but now I am worried
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Irregular timing of ovulation

Detailed Answer:
Counting the first day of your period as day 1, most women ovulate right around day 14. When this occurs, they have a predictable period usually around day 28. When there is variation in terms of WHEN you ovulate, this affects when you get your period. This variation in ovulation is most likely related to your age. As women get older, the recruitment of eggs in the first half of the cycle (which leads to the trigger for ovulation) is more variable. With regard to the ultrasound, it is basically normal. With regard to the labs, you are Vitamin deficient, but this is common and easily treated with calcium and VitD supplementation. Here is what you should do:

1. You need to purchase ovulation predictor kits to see IF and WHEN you are ovulating
2. Once you have a sense of when you are ovulating, this will help in terms of timing of intercourse
3. You can talk to your OB/GN about medications to help 'induce' ovulation in a more normal pattern (in US we often use clomid or letrozole). This will help but the incidence of twins is increased

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 minutes later
I am not allowed clomid because of my BMI which I am trying to reduce. I use a clearblue fertility monitor it only shows low and high never shown a peak but this month it was high from day 6 to 24 then low day 25 so when can i expect my period? My gynaecologist has said to buy inofolic as it regulates periods until I can get my weight down
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weight loss will be the key to success

Detailed Answer:
If your BMI is increased, due to underlying insulin resistance, your cycle and when/if you ovulate is affected. One medication that you might be a candidate for would be Metformin. It is a diabetes medication, but it might help to regulate your cycle AND aid in weight loss. While you do not think that you have PCOS, being overweight with irregular/anovulatory cycles is all related to the same problems that PCOS patients have.

With regard to the LH detection, it is almost impossible to say when your next period will occur based on what you are telling me. It will probably be about 1-2 weeks after day 25.

Dr. Tim
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 minutes later
Thank you ao with weight loss you do think I can conceive naturally? Is inofolic good
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not harmful

Detailed Answer:
This is a supplement that is supposed to help by reducing insulin resistance and is similar to what I described in my prior answer. But your best bet is aggressive weight loss and your cycles will become more normal. This is your best shot at a pregnancy. I know that you can do this and be successful as I have taken care of women who have overcome the same hurdles.

Dr Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 57 minutes later
Thanks and as we speak i have started. I am happy now last 2 months 27 days this month 28 days
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are on the right track..

Detailed Answer:
Thank you and good luck.

Dr. Tim