Is pregnancy possible despite being on birth control pills?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi there,

Is it possible that I could still be pregnant despite having a period?
I am on birth control and had sex a day before starting my inactive pill (on Friday) and got my period that Monday.
I'm now late for my second period so I'm just wondering if that could be a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you got your period after sexual intercourse, pregnancy is ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. It is extremely unlikely to conceive while on your period, as long as it is your period.

I would also like to ask if you got your period after having sexual intercourse? If so, then this itself rules out pregnancy completely. In that case, the delay in your period was most probably because of the birth control pill itself, which is a common side effect whilst being on birth control.

I hope you find my response helpful, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 minutes later
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your response.
I did get my period but it was only a couple days after intercourse while i was on inactive pills.

So you're saying that I can rule out pregnancy if I've had a full period regardless of how soon after intercourse it aas and where I was on my course of birth control pills?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, pregnancy can be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi ma'am.

Yes, if after intercourse your period was seen, then you can rule out pregnancy completely as after conception/pregnancy a period cannot take place until delivery.

Best wishes ma'am. :)