Is pregnancy possible by having unprotected sex during periods?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife had her initial signs of menstrual bleeding couple of days ago but her usual flow has not started yet. Today ( 2nd day since her initial bleeding started) we had unprotected intercourse. Usually her flow starts on 2nd day. is there any reason to worry why her flow has not started yet? can the intercourse have affected the flow? can this lead to pregnancy? is any contraceptive pill required?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scanty flow is not due to intercourse

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Scanty flow in the periods can be due to pregnancy, hormonal disturbances like hypothyroidism or hyperprolactemia.Intercourse do not leads to intercourse.
I will suggest her to get a urine pregnancy test if the flow is not proper in next 2 days.
Moreover, if the flow is proper in next 2 days, then chances of pregnancy due to intercourse on 2 nd day of periods is nil, so there is no need to contraceptive pill.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 11 hours later
Thank you for the clarification. her flow has resumed today and seems normal. and also the urine pregnancy test turned out to be negative. so just to confirm again, there are no chances of pregnancy due to inter course yesterday? what are typical safe days based on her cycle (shortest is 33 days and longest is 40 days ).
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to take emergency contraceptive

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I am happy to have helped you.
Based on her menstrual cycles, her fertile period is from day15 to almost day 30 of her cycle.
So , the safe period is from day 1-14 and from day 31-40 of her cycles.
There is no chance of pregnancy if the intercourse was done during menstrual days.
There is no need to take emergency contraception for this episode of intercourse.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng