Is pregnancy possible after unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. I had unprotected sex early Tuesday morning. My cycle is usually regular 28-30 days. When we had sex, I was on day 8 of my cycle. He also pulled out but ejaculated outside my vulva. But I know sperm can be tricky and also live inside the body for as long as 5 days. Is there any possibility that I could become pregnant or am I overthinking and worrying too much?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Plese provide more information for the best answer

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question and I m happy to help.

Assuming that you have regular cycles, and counting the first day of menstrual flow as day1, most women ovulate right around day14. Sperm can only live in the cervix for about 72 hours, so I think of the 'window' of potential conception as being about days 11-17. Given these assumptions, here are the reasons that the chance of pregnancy is close to zero in your case:

1. You had intercourse early in your cycle = day8
2. He did not ejaculate in the vagina near the cervix. Even if you theoretically imagine that some sperm actually made it to the cervix AND hung around for 3 days, the chance that conception would occur is INCREDIBLY small. It is a numbers game - you need literally MILLIONS of sperm deposited directly near the cervix for conception to even be on your radar.

That all being said, it takes about two weeks for a pregnancy test to turn positive so the ultimate confirmation that I am correct will take waiting until you can reliably perform a confirmatory test.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 hours later
Thank you for your help. I guess I'm just over worrying because I read that sperm can live in the body 5 to 7 days, which gets me close to my ovulation day. Also, I thought that sometimes there can be a slim chance of sperm entering if ejaculatd right outside the vagina.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think you will not be pregnant when you check

Detailed Answer:
I understand your thinking completely. I do not think that you have anything to worry about. Just follow my prior advice and ask additional questions if you are confused.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee