Is pregnancy possible after having sex before periods?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi, i missed my period on 18th of this month. I had sex on 12th of this month. Now i doubt whether i am pregnant or not. If i am developing pregnancy, please suggest medication to avoid without sergical treatment. Immediate advices will be highly appreciated. Thanks......
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Serum beta hCG blood test

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. The time you had sex was very near to the time you were supposed get periods. Just 1 week gap.

2. In such a situation pregnancy cannot happen.

3. Because ovulation would have occurred earlier and fertilisation not possible.

4. I suggest you wait for another week. By then you should get periods.

5. If you dont get periods in one week get serum beta hCG blood test done to confirm pregnancy.

6. As of now you dont require any tablets.

Follow-up: Is pregnancy possible after having sex before periods? 11 minutes later
Thank you alot for advice. My concern will only stop when my periods starts. Till then, i will be very confused. Does Serum Beta HCG Blood test available without prescription? I dont want to consult any doctor personally. Can i take any pills to start my periods forcefully? Please advice.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Serum beta hCG blood test can be done in any lab. Prescription not necessary.

No need of tablets as of now.

Follow-up: Is pregnancy possible after having sex before periods? 2 days later
Dear Doctor, about 3 days have past by but still no sign of periods yet. If you could advice, i want to know if my HCG blood test confirms my pregnancy, what can i do to prevent my pregnancy. Are there any medications available to prevent pregnancy easily & effectively. Please do let me know. Also, the procedure to take such medication......Thank You Very Much!

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Serum beta hCG blood test

Detailed Answer:

You are right. Serum beta hCG blood test is accurate in predicting pregnancy status. Please get it done in any good laboratory.

The pregnancy needs to be confirmed first by above blood test. Then we need to localise the gestational sac by ultrasound to rule out ectopic pregnancy. Only then we can advice about option of abortion. Till then not necessary to think about it.

Follow-up: Is pregnancy possible after having sex before periods? 31 hours later
Hello, i did my Serum Beta hCG test today. It says 25.90 mlu/ml. Please conclude me result from blood test report (i have uploaded the same). Please advice medicine accordingly to avoid pregnancy with best result and faster. Thank You.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abortion

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You are pregnant. But it is very early pregnancy.

Unfortunately in healthcare magic we don't issue prescriptions for any medicines.

These abortion medicines are dangerous if taken without supervision of doctor.

Please get transvaginal ultrasound scan done to check location of pregnancy. If it is ectopic pregnancy you cannot take abortion medicines.

I suggest please see a gynecologist with report and go for further evaluation.