Is pregnancy after peripartum cardiomyopathy safe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
is subsequent pregnancy after peripartum cardiography safe. How much time need to wait for second pregnancy.

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your wife health and I would like to tell you that the most important thing is to see how well the heart function is recovering from that peripartum Cardiomyopathy.

Majority of the females recover within a couple of months and leads a normal life there after.

I would like to suggest you to get an Echocardiography done for your wife to see how much the heart is functioning now (LV Ejection fraction ).

And one more thing even after a normal healthy delivery one should not plan for a second child for a minimum of 3 years.

I hope this information will be helpful and will guide you properly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap