Is post nasal drip the cause of a small bump on the top right side of the uvula?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello! I just noticed this morning a small bump on the top right side of my uvula. I have a magnifying mirror and regularly check my mouth, so I know that it was not there before. I just recovered from type A influenza which I had a few weeks ago. I'm attaching a few images, when looking at the images the bump is on the top left side of the picture. I do not smoke or drink and have never used tobacco. There is no pain or burning in the area, and all I am experiencing is just some post nasal drip from my sinuses. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible tonsillar enlargement

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam

I can certainly understand your concern and have worked through your attached images.

This looks like a tonsillar enlargement, which could be secondary to recovery from recent flu illness and symptoms of post nasal drip.

In the absence of any distressing symptoms, nothing to worry much as the sweliing would gradually subside.

Further investigative work up and oral antibiotics may be required if symptoms don't improve in 1 week.

Post your further queries if any
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 25 minutes later
Hi Doctor! Thank you so much for your quick response! I am attaching a zoomed in image of my uvula. Actually the whitish bump is located on the uvula itself (I've always had enlarged tonsils due to severe tonsillitis years ago). If you look at the uvula, there is a reddish streak down the middle. The whitish bump is located to the left of that streak toward the top of it. Thank you again!!
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible secondary changes due to enlarged tonsills

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam

I can certainly understand your concern

I have worked through your attached images ( zoomed in image of uvula) The whitish bump and the red streak on the uvula are secondary changes in the uvula tissue due to chronic tonsillar enlargement.

It's advisable to get the tonsills removed surgically to prevent future episodes of significant throat Infection.

Post your further queries if any
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D