Is possible to detect marijuana in a newborn despite smoking it throughout pregnancy?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I've smoked Marijuana periodically throughout my pregnancy for emotional support and to keep food down etc... it takes about 2-5 days to get out of my system with out trying or flushing in anyway... sounds like that's pretty quick when I'm reading other people's questions and answers on thc remaining in your system. My question is tho that I'm now very concerned of course that it could be in my baby's system because I keep reading all this stuff online. My induction date is in 18 days but I've been having some BAD back pressure (again smoked a little) and worry she will be here any day now. And my hormones have me stressing up the wall now about it. How long would it stay in her system if it's out of mine so quickly? Stressing is just making me feel she'll be here sooner in an anxious and uncomfortable cycle and I need a straight answer.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It should not be in her system if is not in yours ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. The marijuana may not be detectable in your child's system if it is not detectable in yours. But I just hope the marijuana you smoked was not laced with any other agents (e.g. contaminated pesticides) which can have some serious effects on your child. Other than the fact that your child is at risk of developing learning disabilities (e.g. ADHD).

Do not stress ma'am, try to relax and practice breathing exercises for the same. I would also like to add that marijuana smoking causes more harm during the first and second trimester of pregnancy. The pressure that you are experiencing is most probably just your body preparing for the delivery itself.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.