question-icon

Is platelet-rich plasma facial treatment beneficial for treating acne scars and tanned skin?

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2019
Question: Just wanted to understand what is PRP treatment on face. Benefits of it. Is there any sideeffects.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding PRP therapy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you.

I have noted your concern.

Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy or PRP is based on the principle that human platelets are rich in growth factors which can be utilized for tissue regeneration and rejuvenation. In PRP, around 20 ml of whole blood is centrifuged to separate about 5 ml of platelet concentrated plasma (containing about 4 to 5 times the normal platelet concentration in blood) which is then injected at the site of desired results. On the face it may be utilized for facial rejuvenation and as an antiageing procedure. Apart from temporary redness and transient swelling, there are virtually no side effects of PRP as it is derived from one's own blood.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (34 minutes later)
Thanks Doctor. My age 25 now so PRP will suit for me and does it reduce scars and tan from face.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (18 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding PRP.

Detailed Answer:

PRP is not a first choice treatment for acne scars or XXXXXXX but it may benefit along with others like chemical peeling for XXXXXXX and laser resurfacing for acne scars. PRP is mainly for facial rejuvenation.

Dr. Kakkar S., Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist