• question-icon

Is platelet count of 590 a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 4 Aug 2015 in Cancer
Question: I had a CT of my lungs on 6/18/15. I had pneumonia in my left lung. I was started on levofloxin (sp) for 10 days. The pain went away in my left lung but night sweats continued without any real fever. I had an x-ray yesterday 7/15/15 and the pneumonia is still there. My Blood work-up was normal except my platelets were high at 590. I still get tired easily. I see a specialist tomorrow.

Two questions:
Should I be concerned about the platelet count being 590 yesterday (it was 389 on 6/18/15)?

Looking over my CT, I read this: HILA, MEDIASTINUM, AXILLA: Scattered subcentimeter nodes are likely reactive. What does that mean?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lymph nodes are reactive due to infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The platelet count is within normal range and there is nothing to worry

The lymph nodes in hila, mediastinum and axilla are very small in size and reactive means there is infection present in it

If the fever again comes back then you need to do blood culture test

DR DE
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist